Thank you for the question. Let me try and answer it in a series of pieces so everyone understands and has the same set of facts. As Alison said earlier, we were trying to turn up at Swansea, but were asked not to go. So, I'm really grateful we get this opportunity to set out clearly and transparently what the situation is.
Probably the starting point for this is that, as a board, in October, we made the decision to go to three teams. We also did the analysis, which Geraint's referred to earlier, around population density, around rugby-playing populations, around where schools are, where universities are, where basically the game thrives. And we made quite a difficult decision as a board that we wanted to go with three, and we've called them 'licences'. One in the capital, one in the east, and one in the west. So that's the first thing I'll put on the table.
The second thing is we did not choose to take the easy route to go to three. At the time, back in April 2025, we had a strategy, very clearly, of having four teams. Unfortunately, Helford Capital did not fulfil their owner obligations at Cardiff and, in order to keep that strategy whole, we decided we had to rescue Cardiff, and there were very compelling financial reasons why we had to rescue Cardiff. The whole rugby ecosystem was in danger of being brought down if we didn't, to be clear. So, we rescued Cardiff at that point in time, which kept us with four teams. And that was our strategy back in April 2025, very clearly.
However, that meant that we then owned one of the four teams, and that wasn't a part of our strategy at all. It's not what we wanted to do, and we've since put Cardiff on the market, as it were. But we've tried to do that in a way that's preserved the value in Cardiff. And, to put this into context for Members, Cardiff is sitting on our balance sheet at a value of, broadly, £10 million of goodwill, which is about a third of our net assets. So it's a really significant thing for the Welsh Rugby Union, both to have done and to hold. So we put Cardiff up for sale. That was a wide process. We got it down to two bidders, and the board in January this year looked at the two final bids.
We realised how controversial this was, and so we actually had an outside lawyer sit in on the final debate that the executive had between the two bids, and the view was very clearly in favour of one of those bids. That bid, as everyone knows, was by Y11, who also own the Ospreys. We had to do a bit of scrambling in the background to understand whether it was possible, within the rugby ecosystem, for Y11 to own the two clubs, because, obviously, that was an important consideration as well. And it is possible for Y11 to own two clubs, and there are obviously parallels in relation to, I guess, Ireland, Scotland, et cetera, where clubs have a greater degree of common ownership. So that's the next thing that happened.
The assumption that was then made, which I'm really grateful to have this opportunity to be really, really clear about, was that Ospreys was going to be the club that was 'killed off', to use an expression that's been thrown at me many, many times. That is not the case in terms of what will necessarily happen as a result of Y11 owning two clubs. There is a totally separate process that the Welsh Rugby Union is going through—well, not totally separate; it is integrated, but it is a separate process—of how we decide to award the licences.
In order to put Cardiff up for sale, we've had to make a commitment to the people who bid for Cardiff that we would award the capital licence to that bidder, and you'd expect us to do that to preserve the value associated with a capital licence. We have not decided on the process as to how we will award the east licence. And, of course, everyone assumes that that east licence is going to Dragons. I assume that, if we carry out a competitive process, that Dragons would have a very significant advantage in getting that east licence. And we're not trying to put that in doubt, but I'm just saying that we are governed by competition law, and we have to carry out each step of the process in a fair way.
You then come to the west licence. With the west licence, there are two professional teams, as we know, operating in the west today. We have Scarlets and we have Ospreys. Ospreys is owned by Y11. It will continue to be owned by Y11. Scarlets has a multitude of predominantly individual owners, and they operate in Llanelli. And there is one west licence. Going forward, I expect that we will carry out a fair and transparent process to determine who gets that west licence. We have not done that yet, and we want to be very clear that we will carry out that process, because there may be some conditions that we want to put into that west licence, such as where rugby is played, i.e. it must be played across the west region, for example.
Then, the final bit of the equation, just to be very clear, is that we have a long-term commitment as the Welsh Rugby Union to put four clubs into the URC. We have not yet reached a compromise with the URC in terms of how we go to the three clubs. So, we have an obligation, actually, to maintain four clubs for the foreseeable future. But that doesn't take away from our decision that we've made—and you heard the financial challenges—that despite the hugely increased money we've got coming through, we were putting—.
I'll just put these figures on the table so people understand a bit of the challenge. We were providing squad costs of about £4.5 million to the Welsh teams back in, I think, 2023, and that was against probably £7 million or £8 million in teams that they were competing against. You just can't compete with that difference. So, although we're making more money and we want to put more money, the challenge is do we put all of that, as we said before, into four teams? Or do we build this infrastructure within Wales that means that your son will be able to play with a brilliant coach within an hour of a player development centre, whether he lives in west Wales, north Wales, south Wales, Gwent, wherever.
We made the decision that, no, in the medium term, as soon as we sorted ourselves out with URC, we'll go to three teams. We will carry out some formal process in terms of awarding the west licence. We just have not had the time to do that yet. Remember, we made this decision at the very end of October. We're now three months into that process—get my timings right—and we are going to carry that out properly and with due transparency. Sorry for the long answer, but I think it was quite important to set that out.